Police and fire officials believe a faulty heater caused a buildup of carbon monoxide gas that claimed the life of an 18-year-old Henryetta girl Thursday.
Sierra Lynn Dennis was found unresponsive at her home in Henryetta.
Despite extensive attempts to revive her, she was pronounced dead at the Henryetta Hillcrest hospital.
According to fire chief David Bullard, family members found the girl in a bathtub. Officials tested for carbon monoxide and found a high concentration of the invisible and odorless gas in the home.
No one else was home at the time of the incident.
The home did not have a carbon monoxide detector.
“This is something we recommend for every home,” said Henryetta fire chief David Bullard. “There is no way to tell if a lethal buildup occurs otherwise.”