tues fire

An unattended candle is believed to have been the cause of a fire on West Clegern Tuesday night.
Firemen were called to the home shortly after midnight to battle the fire that gutted the rear of the home.
The homeowner said he was sleeping in the front of the house when the blaze broke out. He was able to escape with no injuries although his pet cat was killed. The Red Cross was called in to provide the owner with a temporary place to stay. No value was placed on the damage.
Henryetta fire chief David Bullard said this is the latest in a series of structure fires since the Christmas holidays.
“Three of those fires were electrical in origin,” he said. “The cold weather has people trying to get space heaters running to keep their pipes from freezing and they need to be monitored to make sure no wiring ignites.”